A version of this simple rice milk recipe is made at Bumi Sehat, the birthing center we support with funds from our More than a NUT MILK BAG project. Made with fragrant Bali red rice the nutrient levels are high with proteins, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and B-group vitamins. Perfect for the expectant mothers and served at the clinic when they come for appointments and check-ups.
This is a COOKED recipe.
Yield: 3 cups
1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
2. Add rice and bring to a boil again. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is cooked about 40 minutes.
3. Rice will be soft and it could be a bit waterlogged; drain off any excess water if necessary.
4. Transfer rice to a blender and add 2 cups of warm water.
5. Blend until well incorporated, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add another cup of warm water and blend again. If you prefer thinner rice milk, add another 1/2 to 1 cup warm water and blend again.
7. Let mixture sit for 30 minutes to one hour until it cools down.
8. If necessary use a spoon to scoop any residue off the top of your milk mixture.
9. Using a More than a NUT MILK BAG draped inside a pitcher, pour the rice / milk mixture into the bag and gently squeeze to remove all the milk leaving behind, in the bag, any larger pieces of rice not blended.
You can add a few drops of vanilla or sweetener to taste.
We invite you to connect with us and share your kitchen adventures. Please like Rawsome Creations on Facebook or follow @Rawsome_Creations on Instagram for contests, ideas, and updates. Just use #MoreThanaNUTMILKBAG on Instagram and @Rawsome_Creations will follow you and re-post. Get pinning with Rawsome Creations' boards on Pinterest.