Creamy Broccoli Soup
Yield: 8 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets *
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cashews - soak in water while you prepare other ingredients, drained
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup celery, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, medium rough chop
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Nama Shoyu or Tamari (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional water for desired consistency
Boil enough water to cover the broccoli florets. Once boiled, turn off heat and place florets in the water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then drain. This will brighten the color, heighten the flavor and take the hard crunch off.
Place all remaining ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
Serve immediately or warm gently on the stove to 115° using a cooking thermometer.
* When I'm in a hurry I use 2 packages of the pre-chopped organic broccoli.
This recipe can be varied in many ways. Avocado could be used for the fat instead of cashews, you could replace the water with almond milk or replace the cilantro with parsley.